Mississippi News

Mississippi waits for federal aid declaration after winter storm damage

Mississippi is still waiting on a federal declaration that would allow residents to apply for individual assistance after a winter storm last month, lawmakers said Wednesday. A legislative briefing at the Capitol focused on damage assessments and efforts to secure funding for local governments and residents facing costly recovery.

The storm, which resulted in at least 29 deaths, caused widespread power outages, disrupted water systems, and left debris across large areas. Rep. Jody Steverson, a Republican from Ripley and chair of the hearing, said constituents are eager to know when they can begin applying for aid to repair damaged homes. However, that aid depends on the federal government issuing an official declaration.

Scott Simmons, spokesperson for the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, said earlier this month that the state’s damage assessment is ongoing. FEMA uses these assessments to approve various assistance programs. On Feb. 6, President Donald Trump approved a federal disaster declaration request for Mississippi, enabling local governments to seek public assistance for infrastructure repairs. The federal government also has provided food, supplies, and SNAP replacement benefits across the state.

Lawmakers indicated that assistance for individual residents could still be weeks away. Sen. Scott DeLano, a Republican from Biloxi, estimated that damages from the storm, dubbed Winter Storm Fern, could total $400 million. DeLano, who experienced Hurricane Katrina in 2005, compared the storm’s impact in northern Mississippi to the 2005 hurricane, citing widespread power outages and other damage.

Additional updates from the hearing highlighted the high costs of tree removal, which local governments struggle to cover. Sen. Daniel Sparks, a Republican from Belmont, said federal reimbursement will cover 75% of tree removal costs, with the remaining 25% split between the state and local governments. In some areas, like Prentiss County, expenses could reach around $3.5 million. Many localities might need further assistance from the state to fund repairs.

Oxford Mayor Robyn Tannehill reported her city faces approximately $25 million in storm recovery costs, with debris removal accounting for most of the expenses. Tannehill emphasized the scale of the disaster, noting she has urged state leaders to pass legislation providing additional funds. The Senate has approved a bill to create a disaster recovery emergency loan program for counties affected by the federal disaster declaration. This program aims to help counties access funds while waiting for FEMA reimbursements.

Lawmakers encouraged residents to document all storm-related damage and interactions with insurance companies. Rep. Rodney Hall called for an “after-action review” of Mississippi’s response, citing dissatisfaction from several mayors about the pace of government assistance amid the ongoing recovery efforts.

Source: Original Article

Jon Ross Myers

Jon Ross Myers is the executive editor and publisher of the Mississippi News Network, Mississippi's largest digital only media company. He can be reached at editor@tippahnews.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *