Mississippi News

Mississippi third graders’ first-attempt literacy pass rate dips slightly

Nearly 76% of third graders in Mississippi public schools passed their first attempt at the state’s reading assessment, a slight decline from last year but in line with the four-year average, according to data presented Thursday to the State Board of Education.

Chief Accountability Officer Paula Vanderford said the results showed minor fluctuations over recent years. Students who do not pass on the first try are given two additional attempts. For the 2025-2026 school year, 75.6% of third graders, or 24,118 students, passed on the first attempt, with 84.6% passing after retests.

That means 7,769 students, or 24.4%, failed on their first try. Some students can be promoted through good cause exemptions, which include limited English language instruction or disabilities combined with other criteria, Vanderford said.

Since 2023, the pass rate has fluctuated slightly, with 76.3% passing that year, 75.7% in 2024, and 77.3% in 2025, according to Vanderford. The number of test takers has increased each year, reaching 32,839 in 2025.

Among districts, 51 reported that at least 80% of their third graders met promotion requirements, with 12 districts surpassing 90%. However, some districts fell significantly below the state average. Vanderford noted nine districts reported more than 50% of their third graders did not meet the promotion threshold.

To improve outcomes, the Mississippi Department of Education offers training and resources for intervention and remediation, including high-quality instructional materials. Chief Academic Officer Wendy Clemmons emphasized the importance of formative assessments and proper implementation of instructional tools. She noted that not all districts utilize these training options fully.

State Superintendent Dr. Lance Evans said the department spent about $17.5 million last year on coaching support for districts. He expressed concern about districts that have not developed financial plans to address the expiration of the hold harmless provision, which currently safeguards districts with declining enrollments from losing funding. The provision is set to expire this year.

Evans also mentioned ongoing efforts to clarify eligibility for a new $2,000 annual supplement for certain special education teachers, which was included in recent legislative changes. The department seeks guidance on how to allocate the limited funds available for this purpose.

Source: Original Article

Jon Ross Myers

Jon Ross Myers is the executive editor and publisher of the Mississippi News Network, Mississippi's largest digital only media company. He can be reached at editor@tippahnews.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *